Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Looking Good Naked

I was recently flipping through the channels trying to find something to occupy my fuzz coated brain. I happened across a show called “How to Look Good Naked,” which is a makeover show produced in the UK. But it is a different kind of makeover show than you might think, unless of course you have seen it, then it is probably exactly what you think it is.

In any case, I was expecting the same formula that you find on most ‘makeover’ shows. One overweight woman + personal trainer/surgery/diet intervention = happily ever after. Instead, it is a show that has the audacity to tell women that their lumps, bumps and bulges are normal and even *gasp* desirable. Women with real bodies bare all. Bulging bellies, ‘thunder thighs’ and breasts that are too small, too big or too asymmetrical are all fair fodder. It is a makeover show with a twist. The women, all unhappy with their various over/under abundances of flesh are forced to face their reflections in a three-way mirror. This is the part of the show that is the most painful to watch.

Many of the women turn away from the reflection of their (half) naked bodies, unable to meet their own gaze in the mirror. Others bravely examine and recount their inadequacies for the audience, tears often streaming down their faces. As much as part of me is adverse to the capitalistic voyeurism, I am also mesmerized and I see incredible bravery in these acts.

I expected the host to offer liposuction, dietary advice or an all expense paid trip to the fat farm. Instead, he uses a variety of (sometimes problematic) exercises to teach them that their bodies are just fine, even beautiful. The women learn how to dress their bodies in ways that make them feel good about their bodies. They are often confronted with their own unrealistic perceptions of what their bodies really look like. In the end, they are given the opportunity to pose naked for a photo shoot. The photos are beautiful.

I know that these so-called reality shows only provide part of the story. The emotional makeovers that the women undergo may simply be fabrications of some producer/director or corporation. But the best part of this show is that it offers women an alternative to the same thin, blond, unmarked, unblemished version of beauty that they are offered every day. In addition to the women who volunteer to undergo the makeover, the program also unabashedly shows the bodies and faces of women who celebrate their bellies, thighs and buttocks, stretch marks and all. They come in all shapes, sizes, colours and ages. They dance and laugh, in various states of undress for the camera.

When was the last time you stood naked and celebrated the beauty of your body? Maybe a public celebration of your cellulite might seem out of reach, but maybe a party with you and the mirror is in order. I’ve already penciled mine in. Next week….after I shave my legs, get a manicure and buy some candles.

2 comments:

jacks said...

jeez louise! i meant to reply to this when you first posted it but in the vapidness that is me - i forgot! i too like this show and i always feel incredibly inspired to love all my jiggly bits (because we all have them) after i watch it. i think it might be the best pop culture answer to the fight against fat phobia - our own and that of others - i've seen. and we should all want to be naked. all the time. ;)

Shells said...

I agree! Just as an update of sorts, I recently watched the American version of this show (which I had previous argued would never happen). While I like the UK version better, the American one is pretty darn good as well. Or at least the one episode I saw was!