Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Beware of Falling Rocks

Today has been somewhat more productive, despite a tooth (jaw?) ache that has me popping Advil every four hours or so. I began today with an exercise in vision and perspective. The classroom of five year olds was not working for me.

I began by visualizing my work. I envisioned it as a great mountain. I am at the bottom, slowly chipping away at the mountain of rock, knowing that beneath it is the treasure. But the mountain is unstable. It threatens to crumble into a giant avalanche. If it does not bury me, it will surely undo all the work I have done clearing away the rubble at the base. I simply cannot stop. But, I am far too tired to keep up the pace, and I am not even sure if the rocks I have chipped away are even making a dent, as I am constantly looking upward at what remains to be done.

So, today, I decided that it was worth the climb to stand at the top and observe it all spread out around me, beneath me. Suddenly it didn’t look quite so big. I’m sure that just by climbing it, I dislodged some rocks and the mountain diminished just a little. I could see so much more from atop my mountain.

So, from the top of my mountain I made the dreaded list of things I need to do over the next month and have made a plan for moving each stone. What a difference a change in perspective can make. I even managed to check a few things off of the list! I’m chipping away, but this time from the top. The risk of avalanche has been averted, at least for now. Just look out down below!

No comments: