Sunday, December 30, 2007

Cages of Kryptonite

I’m bored. I think that for me, boredom is like a cage. It is hard to escape and I feel as if I am mentally pacing back and forth like the tigers at the zoo. There are not many things I hate more than boredom. Imaginative, independent person that I consider myself to be, you would think that boredom would be easily dealt with. But sometimes, I get in a mood that I find it hard to get out of. Nothing tempts me (not even video games!).

Maybe boredom is my kryptonite. It certainly seems to zap my will and my strength. I’m not sure how it seeps into my life, but it usually starts with a general feeling of discontent. I flit about from one activity to the next, like a bumblebee on speed. Nothing is completed, and some tasks get abandoned before they have made it past the thought stage. This stage is usually quickly followed by a long brooding session, trying to figure out what it is that I really want to do. My mind plays with various ideas, seeking out the perfect cure for an overactive mind and an under active behind! I dismiss idea after idea: some are too much fun (when I should be productive), some are too much work and the rest are usually just way too high in calories! At this point, I usually get in a foul mood, frustration and anger bubbling under the surface, toes tapping impatiently and eyes flitting around the room, desperately seeking a distraction to end all distractions.

Today, blog-writing is that distraction. My house is on autopilot, heading toward an ever increasing state of chaos. My work is also piling up, but today the pile seems just too big to tackle. And so, I write. My writing is an invitation for you to watch me pace back and forth within this cage. So, if you are out there and have a key for this damn cage, send it my way?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Make a list of the dreaded duties. The nagging things that make you squirm. Number them, in order of dread. This might be all you need to do, this staring down of the enemy. If not, you must attack, taking out the leader.

I assure you, you won't be bored, doing battle.

Shells said...

Thanks for the key! I'll certainly try it out in the near future!